Saturday, September 7, 2013

biomes biomes biomes!!!!!

This past week we studied BIOMES!! We focused on 7 different ones...although depending on where you get your info...you could take some or add some. I'm amazed at what kids can learn when you actually take the time to invest in them and teach them. I have been saying this since Addison was probably 2. I don't ever 'dumb it down.' I keep the bar high...and make them rise to it. Or...I try to most of the time. I use easier vocabulary to initially teach it, but always throw the big words in too!! :) And they get it...they really do.

We focused on:
  • Grasslands
  • Deserts
  • Scrublands
  • Tundra
  • Deciduous Forests
  • Coniferous Forests
  • and...Tropical Rain Forests
And....even little Pay Pay can say them. We read books upon books about them. We have watched videos and looked at a bazillion pictures. Then it was time to use that knowledge....we all built dioramas of them. I let them pick which one they wanted. And then we went on a nature hunt/hike. Addison wanted to do both coniferous forests and deciduous forests so I let her. I thought it would solidify their differences anyway. Kaden picked the arctic Tundra. And...Payton picked Grasslands. Kaden didn't get much on our hike for his, considering our lack of things from the arctic...hahahaha! But he helped his sisters. :)

When we came back from our hunt/hike, we had a mess...seriously. So much dirt, mulch, grass, leaves, twigs, rocks, etc. Because it was so messy, I knew we were in the learning zone! The kids loved it, and with some assistance with the background of the diorams, we were on our way! We created for hours and ended up with some pretty cool examples of our biomes we were studying. I got some pics of their creations!
 They were so proud. :)
 
 Grasslands...by Payton
 Tundra...by Kaden
 Coniferous Forest....
And Deciduous Forest...both by Miss Addison. 

These will be displayed in our school room until they dry out I guess. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment