Saturday, April 23, 2011

easter is in the air!

We have been busy around the Broady house this week learning new things about Easter and, as parents, trying to explain it in a way for young kiddos to understand. I realized I had some work to do when last week I asked Addison what she thought Easter was and...then I got her reply. :) First she said, "Jesus"...which is technically true...and followed that with "eggs." I knew there had to be some disconnect going on in that brain! I really wanted for her to grasp it this year...to really get it. And...you can ask her now! She knows the details and can tell it like it is.

I have been in a very thankful mood this week as I reflect on what these days would have been like for Jesus. We celebrate Easter and it IS a celebration, but when I think about the distress and agony He went through, even before the cross, I am moved to tears.

Luke 22:42
"Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."


As I ponder, I can't imagine the struggle that he went through internally over what was about to happen to Him. I watched a brief portion of 'The Passion' last night...it is so intense and so....heavy for me. I have trouble even watching it. And to think...he chose to do that.The soldiers did not contain him in their own strength, nails did not hold him to the cross, and the stone did not keep him in the grave. He could have ended all of it at any time, but he chose to do it...pure sacrifice. I never want to be at a place that this does not move me.

Amazing Love
How can it be
That You, my King, would die for me?
Amazing love,
I know it’s true.
It’s my joy to honor You,
In all I do, I honor You.
I’m forgiven because You were forsaken,I’m accepted, You were condemned.
I am alive and well, Your spirit is within me,
Because You died and rose again.


You are my King

Jesus You are my King
(Chris Tomlin)

So...in order to hopefully make a mark on my munchkin's hearts, we tried to let this be a week of teaching them the meaning of what we are celebrating, what we are remembering.

We made palm branches...
 by coloring them first...
 ...then cutting them out, attaching pipe cleaners, and waving them as we walked around the house. We kept saying, "Hosanna, Hosanna"...explaining what the people meant by that when Jesus rode into Jerusalem. Kaden's sounded like "nana" but oh well. :)
 With their cute little palm branches. :)

 We made these at the kids' music class this week...stinkin' cute.
 
 This little guy liked wearing this around once we got home.

Mom and Dad, and a lot of the gang came over the other night and we dyed some eggs for some fun. The weather was so nice that we did it all outside...great for me!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Look at that little face in the background. :)

Yesterday, I did another little project with the kids...explaining Jesus dying on the cross, being laid in a tomb... So, we made a tomb...or something like that.
 
 We painted it all brown.
Then we made a 'big stone' to put in front of the tomb.
 But....before we did that, they colored an angel to glue inside....
 
 Because...when the stone was rolled away by the angel, Jesus was not in there.
HE HAD RISEN!

Thank you Lord for your sacrifice and your amazing love for people like us...who are so far from deserving it. Your grace is unfathomable.

1 comment:

  1. What a great post! Love all the fun things you did with the kiddoes and the "nana" from Kaden is priceless. Your eggs are gorgeous. SO BRIGHT! :)

    ReplyDelete