Monday, November 1, 2010

ER visit

It's official...Kaden DEFINITLEY takes after his daddy. Keith is always...I mean constantly...hurting himself. He has torn ligaments, cut his head, cut his finger, and the list goes on and on. My dad is always joking him about how many scars and bruises he has. And--a lot of the time Keith has no idea how he even did it. Funny. :) And, it looks like Kaden is following in daddy's footsteps. The other night Kaden was holding his blanket in one hand and Addison's in the other. He was standing in our family room just twirling with them and tripped and fell. He landed on his arm/wrist...and didn't get up. I wondered why. I picked him up and tried to soothe him, but his cry sounded a little different to me. And...the major clue that something was wrong was that he wouldn't lift his arm to suck his thumb. The more I examined it, I was able to see that it was swelling and getting very red. Keith and I both agreed that we should take him to the ER to have it checked. And a couple hours later this is what he looked like...
poor guy :(

It was definitley broken. Who would have thought that a simple fall could do that?!? Bless his heart. I thought he might try to take the wrap off or the splint, but he has surprisingly left all of it alone. I think it really does hurt him. The doctor from the ER and the orthopedic surgeon Keith took him to today both said it is a hairline fracture and want to keep it wrapped up for a couple weeks...and then see him again. We originally thought he was going to get a hard cast on today (after the swelling went down), but the doctor felt confident that the splint and wrap should be okay for him. Hope so...don't want any more problems for him.
Oh...and the butterfly bandage on his head was not from this incident!! That happened when he hit his head on the cabinet in the kitchen one day last week. It was pretty bad...was gushing blood. I was feeding Payton when it happened and Addison yelled for me from the kitchen. I could tell it was bad. I just had to apply pressure and then bandaged him up.
And...don't have a picture of it, but to this list of medical issues we can now add a black eye as well. He fell and hit the coffee table at mom and dad's last night! He looks pathetic...really. :) A gash in his head, a black eye, broken arm, and you can still see the scar on the side of his head where he burnt it on the piece of charcoal. Very sad.  

2 comments:

  1. Poor little guy! I saw that on Keith's FB and was praying for you guys! Hope he gets better soon. I think it's partly the age for bumps and bruises. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Jill, I agree with you...seems that he hurts himself everyday in one way or another. :)

    ReplyDelete